Monday, January 9, 2012

All about the under eye


Eye creams, Eye Gels, Eye concentrates? What's the difference? Which to choose?
Ever wondered about the differing terms and exactly how different could they be? Which under eye treatment is better for you?

A variety of reasons contribute creating dark eye circles, puffy eyes and wrinkles around our eyes. These reasons ranges from lifestyle impacts like smoking, alcohol consumption to other habits like sleeping late, congestion problems or stress related issues. There are some others which are inherited or some others come with age. 

There are tonnes of over-the-counter products available in the market; in fact, every counter you see in the big departmental stores will generally carry at least 1 under eye product. So what is better for you? Unfortunately, I am still in the midst of searching for a suitable under product and I believe that each of us will have a different ideal product. 

(1) Garnier Caffeine Roll on
So fundamentally, gels are lighter and easier to apply than cream. By and large, younger folks may generally prefer to use gels as they are lighter, more soothing and refreshing to the eye. An eye cream which is too rich may cause milia seeds to occur. An extraction of milia seed often requires laser day surgery or some I heard, via a needle. I've tried neither before and due to a rich eye cream, I am left with some milia seeds under my eye. They seem to be amplified when I'm tired or stressed. 

Creams are generally richer and suitable for older skin or very dry under eyes. Serums and concentrates are often known to be a combination of creams and gels or otherwise, a thicker gel which is apparently more moisturizing. 

Before I list some of the eye products I've tried, let me just highlight my undereye issues. I have dark eye rings which have been with me since a child (I've seen my kiddo pics), puffy eyes at times and eye bags when I am lacking sleep. Recently, I was appalled to discover some wrinkles at the inner bottom corner of my under eye area! I'm horrified and trust me, I've been reading up alot about the various under eye products and I know I'll be purchasing one soon!

To date, I've tried several brands of under eye product, of which none had really worked. To list, I've tried: 
(1) Garnier caffeine roll on which seem to left a "plastic" layer feel everytime it dried up. Caffeine is suppose to aid dark eye circles but I did not benefit from a consistent day-and-night application over 3 months. However, the roll-on applicator was soothing and comfortable, especially if you keep your tube in the fridge! (but do make sure that your fridge temp is not far too cold)
(2) Biotherm Aquasource Eye Perfection - I received a small sample with my moisturizer purchase but it proved to be disappointing. A little stinging and discomfort was felt with every application, perhaps I am allergic to some chemicals or ingredients used in the formula. Upon drying, it does feel powdery and it doesn't work well when you apply your concealer or makeup. In addition, it didn't aid my dark eye circles. The only good point I might raise was that it was soothing as well. 
(3) Lancome Repositioning Eye Cream -  Too rich a cream for my liking. Perhaps something suitable for older/more sun exposed and dry under eye area. 
(4) Kose Infinity Eye Cream - Rich, suitable for age 30-40 ladies I believe. A little too rich for me but it did aid a little of my dark circles.
5) Bobbi Brown Eye Repair Cream - Very thick and hard to spread across the under eye area. I bought this as I was so intrigued that it could cover my milia seeds before applying my concealers. However, halfway into this little tub, I started to release it also added more milia seeds contrarian to what the sales assistant tried to sell the product by alleging that it has ingredients that help heals them. I was naive, stick to BB for make-up. 
6) Shu Uemura Deep Sea Replenishing Eye Gel - awesome little tube, very refreshing and helps hyrdation + mild puffy eyes. Otherwise, don't expect too much. A disappointment in the results as compared to the hefty price (>SGD 50)
7) La Prairie Skin Caviar Luxe Eye Lift Cream & Cellular Eye Contour Cream - This is one story I must share. I fell madly in love with La Prairie products after trying the cellular eye contour cream. It was the first ever cream which lightened my dark eye circles! To me, it was simply amazing. I was barely 1 week into the tub and I already experienced the difference! Unfortunately, I believe it was also the same cream which gave me my milia seeds but I refused to believe and continued until I've finished the tub. It was when I went back to the counter that I was convinced that the cellular eye contour cream was no good, and was advised to try the luxe eye lift cream. I thought for abit but got put off by both the milia seeds that had formed and the price. Subsequently, I was given the Caviar Luxe Cream to try by my mother. It was rich and well, caused more milia seeds. Try this again when i'm older and might really need a rich eye cream. 

I've received a box of Elizabeth Arden Prevage Eye Cream as a gift. I might just give it a shot despite the mixed reviews. I've got a hunch that it might not suit my skin, and it'll be too rich given shea butter being its 4th highest ingredient. I'll prolly try it for abit and see how it goes, if unsuitable will likely pass on to my mom for usage. I did read in several places that this line suits 40s to 50s ladies better! 

Meanwhile, let me continue my hunt for a suitable eye cream!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello, thanks for dropping by! Do exchange your tips or share your thoughts with me! xxx