Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Review: Chanel Natural Finish Pressed Powder


Hello folks! Chanel's Natural Finish Pressed Powder (Poudre Universelle Compacte) is the key product for review today. I've been using this pressed powder for over 2 months and decided that it was time to put something down in black and white.

Chanel created this pressed powder to produce a translucent, natural matte finish (not flat matte). It is ultra fine and light weight, to be used after your foundation or after your face makeup. There is also a slight tinge of floral fragrance to the powder. Do not use this powder if you are looking for a medium to heavy powder coverage. 

The ingredients are:
Talc, Nylon-12, Silica, Lauroyl Lysine, Magnesium Myristate, Hydrogenated Coco-Glycerides, Magnesium Stearate, Boron Nitride, Isopropyl Lanolate, Aluminium Hydroxide, Potassium Sorbate,  Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Parfum (Fragrance), tocopherol, Lecithin, Glyceryl Stearate, Ascorbyl Palmitate, Glyceryl oleate, Citric Acid

I love the sleek compact black packaging that comes with it (well, it's channel afterall!). There's also an applicator puff that comes with it but I generally prefer to use my own powder brush to pick up the powder. There's also a mirror in the package, so its really simple and easy to use on the go, for touch-ups or for setting make-up.

With talc being it's first ingredient, it is no wonder that the powder is so fine and light. While the product does not guarantee to be oil-free nor shine-free, it does allow my make up to stay matte for a good number of hours (8 - 5pm). It is also relatively lightweight such that you do not feel an uncomfortable layer of powder on your face. It doesn't create the kind of over-powdered look which some other powders may give. Most importantly, as my face is really sensitive, I was amazed that this powder did not give me any breakouts or rash despite the floral scent.

However this powder range has only 4 colour choices - clair 20; naturel 30, dore 40, muscade 140 - which I felt was a little limiting. I was matched with a 30 naturel despite my Chanel matlumiere foundation being 20 clair. I guess this was to avoid me looking like a geisha of sorts. Chanel also has another range of oil-free powder which was only suitable for ladies with a really oily texture and needed proper oil-control powders. Otherwise Chanel's Natural Finish Pressed Powder would work for normal to combination skin ladies.

How does it look versus some peers?

When compared to Loreal True Match Super Blendable Powder which is much heavier, Chanel's powder wins hands down for me. Loreal's powder has only 3 shades, of which none really works for me. Also, it's not oil-free, leaving my face looking greasy by midday. Chanel's pressed powder doesn't do the same!

I would also like to compare this against Bobbi Brown's Sheer Finish pressed powder and Laura Mercier's Loose powder. When put against BB's pressed powder, I felt that Chanel's oil control abilities were much better and it also felt lighter than BB's product. Unfortunately, BB does have a wider range of colours which may help to match our face shades better. Lastly, when put up against LM's loose powder, I felt that both worked wonders with different foundations. Chanel's powder had a little more coverage than LM's but LM's mattifying properties edges over Chanel's pressed powder slightly. Still, both powder's key ingredients are talc, which in essence is simply powder.

Summary

In short, I love this powder as I generally prefer lightweight makeup but the price tag at S$72.00 is pretty hefty! I would use this concurrently with my Laura Mercier Translucent Loose Powder.



1 comment:

  1. does it have a separate space for keeping the puff in the compact ??

    ReplyDelete

Hello, thanks for dropping by! Do exchange your tips or share your thoughts with me! xxx